Visa Information

Generally, international conference participants may enter the U.S. as a “business visitor”. This is done either by entering with a B-1 visa (obtained from a U.S. consulate) or using the Visa Waiver program. Please check the Department of State’s Visa Wizard for latest updates and to find out if you require a visa to enter the U.S

IMPORTANT: Anyone traveling under Visa Waiver must apply for authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).

Please note that under the new Visa Waiver Improvement Act, some international participants will no longer be eligible to enter U.S. under the Visa Waiver program and will require a U.S. visa.

If you do require a U.S. visa, it is highly recommended to apply for one well in advance (the process can take three months). You will also need a letter of invitation from the conference, in which case, it is highly recommended to register for the conference early and contact to submit your request for a letter of invitation.

Fermilab Specific

In addition to the general Visa requirements for Business Visitors to the US, there are specific procedures and recommendations for visitors to Fermilab. Please refer to the information provided by the Fermilab Visa office under the headings “Fermilab procedure” and “workshop attendees”.

The American Physical Society offers some useful additional visa and related information for people attending scientific conferences in the US.

Please contact us if you have any further questions on the visa process.